About nine million people are affected by cachexia each year. Also known as unintended weight loss, cachexia can worsen a number of chronic conditions. At its worst, it can also lead to death.
Knowing how to increase appetite naturally can help. As your appetite increases, you can get your energy back and life on track.
Keep reading to learn how to make yourself hungry.
1. Hunger Habits
Even one huge meal a day can feel daunting. When you don’t have an appetite, three just seems extreme.
Here are a few hunger habits you can pick up. These will help you learn how to increase appetite naturally:
- Don’t skip breakfast
- Eat a low-fiber diet
- Eat five to six smaller meals instead of three big ones
- As your appetite improves, slowly start increasing your portions
- Eat foods that are high in nutrients
- Cut out foods with empty calories (chips, increase, candy)
- Add more calories to each small meal (use butter, nut butters, whole milk, olive oil)
- Make meals a social event
- Serve meals on smaller plates to make portions appear larger
- Schedule your meals and set reminders
- Drink smoothies, milkshakes, and juices to replace meals
- Eat healthy snacks throughout the day
Make sure you’re choosing foods you actually want to eat. As you learn how to increase your appetite, you can also slowly increase your calories with time.
2. Treat Tummy Aches
Common causes of a loss in appetite include constipation and nausea.
Constipation can make you feel full even when you’re lacking nutrients. Try:
- Drinking water
- Taking fiber supplements
- Taking a laxative
- Limiting caffeine
- Eating fruits, vegetables, and grains that are high in fiber
Meanwhile, drink ginger tea to treat nausea. Meditation, acupuncture, and taking a calming walk can help as well.
3. Determine Digestion Issues
As you determine how to increase appetite for yourself, consider your body as a whole. Your gut health and digestion might cause your appetite issues.
To start, eat an anti-inflammatory diet. Choose healthy fats, fresh fruits and vegetables, and clean proteins. That means more wild-caught fish and grass-fed meats.
Try high-fiber foods such as chia or flax seeds. If you’re an avocado toast fan, have at it!
Probiotic foods can help your stomach issues, too. Try fermented yogurt and cultured vegetables.
4. Treat Depression & Anxiety
Almost 75 percent of people with mental disorders don’t get treatment. Without treatment, depression and anxiety can both affect your appetite. You can manage your depression by:
- Trying exercise and yoga
- Spending time outside (boosting vitamin D)
- Getting massages
This will help manage your anxiety as you discover how to increase your appetite.
5. Get Active
Feel the burn! Our bodies burn calories to keep our energy levels up. All that activity increases our appetite.
However, working out once won’t improve your appetite permanently.
Instead, create a regular workout schedule. This will help increase your metabolic rate and stimulate your appetite with time.
Holistic Hunger Remedies: How to Increase Appetite
Starving for a change? With these tips on how to increase appetite, you can make yourself hungry again.
Discover more health advice by exploring our latest posts.